Monday, December 28, 2009

Looking Ahead: 2010 Country Roads, Sunday Afternoons, GPS

As we look forward to entering 2010, many of us will want to chart a course and reach some new goals. As I reminisced today I remembered some times when my dad would take us out on Sunday afternoons for a drive in the car. Many times this was out some country road. We would just drive along, turn when we reached a fork in the road, continue on until it was time to head home. It was delightful seeing the sights and smelling the smells of the country. I was totally disoriented by so many turns, but Dad always got us home.
In many ways "life" reminds me of these trips into the country. Now we did not have a map or a GPS device in our car or anything like this. I guess we had the sun on a sunny day, but no compass or other instrument with which to navigate or chart our course. Our destination was "home". Home, that place where we would clean up, have a nice meal my mom prepared and talk over the things we had seen and experienced along the way.
I was never fearful that we would not reach home. I trusted Dad. He was my daddy. I was his daughter. Of course he would get me to a safe and happy place.

Many of you know that I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I have turned myself over to Him and He is the One who is guiding me to my final destination. I would like to share how exactly this has been working out the last thirty some years. First, we don't travel in the dark. I used to live in the kingdom of darkness. My final destination was not going to be a nice place like home. I was charting my own course and certainly did not consult God about His plan for my life. But in His mercy, my blind eyes were opened and I saw Grace and Truth. I knew from the Law of Moses, written on my heart, that I had done bad things. Things that I was ashamed of. But I had no idea how to change for the better. I tried to change myself. That failed. Then one day the Word of God reached my heart and I realized that Christ Jesus had died on the cross to take the penalty for all my sins. And to give me grace [grace is the desire and power to do God's will] and truth. Jesus Christ perfectly fulfilled God's Holy requirements found in the Law. He did that so I would not need to. Good thing, since no man can be right in God's eyes. No matter how hard we try. God counts what Jesus did as though I had also fully obeyed God's Holy Laws.
God also extended grace that covered all my past, present,and future wrong doings or sins. God accepted the willing sacrifice of the blood of Jesus Christ, put to death on a cross, as 'payment' in full for my sin debt. In addition, I repented.. had a change of mind regarding who God is, who I am and God's remedy for my helpless condition of rebellion and hatred toward God. This repentance was also a gift from God by way of His grace.
So how is life different in my new kingdom? I now sit in the heavenlies with Christ Jesus. I am in the kingdom of light. Even though I live in the body on planet earth, I am also born into a new kingdom. One of truth and love and grace and mercy. One that I am so happy to tell others about. It is called the Kingdom of God. I trust God, my heavenly Father to get me to His Home. He has given me His Guidebook, the Holy Bible. His Spirit is like headlights of a car along a dark road, illuminating passages in the Book that show me the Way. Sometimes I am not always sure of exactly where I am.. God has numbered my days and until He determines it is time to turn toward Home, I continue on His planned path on earth.
As I grow older I am so excited to note that some of the early country roads are getting connected with the current road we travel. Of course God saw the connection all along. A road that was designed to mature me into conformity with the Character of Jesus Christ.
One example is how 25 years ago I had a dream. In this dream I saw a woman and boy on their knees. They were praying. Asking God for food. Just basic needs. Bread. And I woke up. Wide awake. I had been asking God if He would answer a prayer. I wanted to know if there was a certain nation I should pray about that had not heard much about the Kingdom of Light. I thought the people looked Chinese. But I asked God if China was the right country, then please tell me the name of the province. I knew very little about China! This is many years before Wikipedia or Google Search or even personal computers! And China had not been "open" to the West for very many years. I heard in my head the word that sounded like "henan".. much to my surprise there actually was a henan..as well as hunan.. so I began to pray for China. God gave me a great love for the nation and the people. Resources became available where I could learn more about the 450 plus people groups who called China "home". I continued daily searches in
God's Book to find His Way of Truth. His Word provided not only 'food' for my spirit, but also correction and training in the right ways of God. It would do no good to have a desire to see good things happen, if I did not learn to wait and do what God wanted His Way and His Timing.

At this point I did not know a single Chinese person. Then several years ago, God opened a way for me to meet over Skype a young woman who lived in Hong Kong. How very exciting. God did a marvelous work of grace in her life and in spite of the fact that I speak no Chinese and she speaks limited English, she is a sister in Christ Jesus. The story does not stop. Father just kept taking new turns on that country road. I am involved with other Chinese women over skype, encouraging them in micro enterprise. I desire to see the rural Chinese women be able to keep their hand craft knowledge and young women stay in the home or near by until they marry. I have the privilege of praying with them as they seek out the Father's planned journey for their lives. Our God is incredible.
If you are looking for a change in 2010.. you are not so happy on your current road in life..
Consider Jesus Christ. If you have any questions about what I am saying please contact me.
I am not talking about religious stuff. I find religion very boring and harmful.
To whom will you look for direction and purpose in life? Will you reach life's end with a pile of regrets.. or with the excitement of a life spent well..
Christ Jesus pleased the Father always while on earth. How so? He always did only what He saw the Father doing. He submitted His will to be under the will of God the Father.
If you are a fellow pilgrim on His Way, keep looking to Jesus, the author and finisher of your faith walk. Ask for and receive His grace to press on. Take time to say a kind word to fellow travelers.
Simply trusting..
Mrs. B.

No comments:

Post a Comment